2021 property tax notices will be mailed this week
September 27, 2021
By: Dwayne Page
It’s Almost Time to Pay Your County Property Taxes!
The 2021 Property Tax Notices will be mailed on Thursday, September 30, wearing the color orange to symbolize energy, joy, happiness, determination, positivity, warmth and good health.
Property taxes will be due and payable from October 1, 2021 to February 28, 2022 before interest becomes due on March 1, 2022. Interest will accrue on March 1, 2021. If you choose to send your tax payment, it must be the postmark being taken as proof no later than February 28, 2022 to avoid any accrued interest.
For 2021, the tax rate has increased from 2.1235% to 1.7308% per $ 100.00 of your assessed value. The tax notices include an example provided by Trustee Driver of how property taxes are calculated.
Example: Assessment value ———— $ 125,000 X Assessed value at 25% —- $ 31,250 X Residential tax rate at 1.7308% —— Tax amount of $ 541 payable.
“I can say that what I was told years ago is true: ‘As you get older, time flies’. Another year has passed and it is time again for landowners in DeKalb County, ”said Administrator Sean Driver. The 2021 property tax notices will be mailed on September 30, 2021 for the annual collection. This year you will see a new color “Orange” on the 2021 property tax notices. Some people like the color orange and some don’t. I chose the color “Orange” this year because of what the color represents to me. With what has happened in our country over the past 2 years, we can only think of the positive. Thus, by choosing the color “Orange”, you should know that it symbolizes Energy, Joy, Happiness, Determination, Positivity, Warmth and Good Health. From our families here at the trustee’s offices to all the families we represent, we wish all of these characteristics for yours. Hold your head up, look up and keep moving forward, ”Driver said.
The office of the trustee offers up to 6 different options for paying your property taxes:
* Come in person to the office to pay
* Send your payment by mail
* Pay online @ www.tennesseetrustee.org, then select DeKalb and follow the instructions on the following screens. The BIS (Business Information Systems) seller accepts Visa, Discover, MasterCard or American Express. In addition, a fee of $ 2.75 will be charged on an electronic check payment of any amount.
* A QR (Quick Response Code) is also on your notice to access the site with your I-phone, smartphone, etc. @ www.tennesseetrustee.org.
* Dropbox located outside the building at the County Complex (County Offices section) for your after-hours or weekend convenience.
* Partial payments are accepted and you, the taxpayer, fix the amount to be paid until full payment is made.
The office of the trustee will begin accepting applications for the property tax relief program from October 1, 2021 to April 5, 2022. If you would like to learn more about possible tax relief for property taxes, come to the office of the trustee in the county complex at 732 S Congress Boulevard-Room 103, Smithville or call 615-597-5176.
Eligibility for Property Tax Relief:
* The State of Tennessee offers qualified homeowners tax relief on property taxes. This program was implemented in 1973 and has a few changes every year. Currently, DeKalb County has 412 applicants enrolled in the program for 2021. As a landowner for 2021, you may qualify for tax relief if:
(A.) Your domicile in DeKalb County is your primary residence, (B.) You are 65 (or over) by December 31, 2020, (C.) Under 65 with total and permanent disability by the SSA or other qualifying agency, and (D.) The 2020 annual income of all owners living on the deed and their spouses has NOT exceeded $ 31,190. If the State of Tennessee qualifies you for tax relief, then you may receive a refund of up to $ 126 for 2021. You must pay your 2021 tax bill IN FULL to begin the application process.
* In addition, the State of Tennessee provides tax relief for disabled veterans and the surviving spouses of a disabled veteran. You must provide proof from the Veterans Administration that you have a total and permanent disability rating that was service-related. You and your spouse will NOT have to report income to apply as a disabled veteran or as the widow or widower of a disabled veteran. If the State of Tennessee qualifies you as a disabled veteran or the surviving spouse of a disabled veteran, then you may receive a refund of up to $ 757 for 2021.