Job: Senior Consultant, Health Systems Financing at Options Consultancy Services Limited
Location: Abuja (work permit required if not a national of the country)
Type of employment: Contract
Type of contract: CDI
Hours: Full-time, according to the standard working hours of the country office
Department: Technical Department
Reporting to: Technical Director
Responsible for: Senior Consultant, Health Systems and Financing
Liaison with: Options global team, other UK departments and overseas
Main objective of the work
- The role of the Senior Consultant, Health Systems Financing is to provide technical support on health financing and systems strengthening across Options’ portfolio of programs in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) .
- The post holder will be able to appreciate the complexity and dynamic interactions within health systems, including the political context in which they operate.
- Through a combination of support to program teams and direct technical delivery, they will support the design, implementation and monitoring of health financing approaches to support the achievement of universal health coverage. This may include, for example:
- Technical support and advocacy for the mobilization of national resources for health in the context of the transition. This could include tracking national and subnational budgets, supporting prioritization, and developing country-specific briefs to use in advocating for increased investment in health.
- Technical support to strengthen public financial management (PFM) processes in the health sector to align with country health financing objectives.
- This could include support to identify and resolve bottlenecks in the PFM system to ensure budgets are allocated and spent according to stated priorities.
- Technical assistance to governments in the design and implementation of health financing reforms, with a particular focus on resilience and universal health coverage centered on primary health care. This could include designing and applying diagnostic tools and convening key stakeholders to reach consensus on strategies to address local priorities.
- The incumbent will have experience and technical expertise in some or all of the following areas: health financing policy or strategy development, budgeting and planning, health budget advocacy, domestic resource mobilization; political economy analysis, sustainability and transition; public financial management, cost and efficiency analysis; results-based financing; protection against social and financial risks; strategic purchases; design and/or operationalization of insurance schemes; impact modeling or health economics.
- Providing thought leadership on health systems financing, they will actively contribute to the growth and development of the organization and the implementation of its strategy by helping to generate new business opportunities.
- This position can be based in the UK, Kenya or Nigeria. Applicants must be eligible to live and work in one of these countries and be fluent in spoken and written English. Ability to work in French is desirable. Travel abroad may be necessary, in agreement with the supervisor.
- All job levels in the organization have some level of responsibility for protection. Your responsibilities will align with the level and scope of the position and appropriate training will be provided.
Technical assistance to programs:
- As part of the Technical Department, provide support and strategic support on health systems financing in a selection of Options programs through the provision of technical advice, analysis and quality assurance of technical resources.
- Undertake technical assistance assignments in health systems strengthening and health financing as well as other specialist areas of expertise such as public finance management and health economics as appropriate. This will be done through continued contributions to long-term programs and ad hoc assignments.
- Contribute to the development of project results frameworks, theories of change and support their use and adaptation for effective program delivery.
- Provide technical support and skills development to in-country stakeholders, including program staff, government officials and civil society organizations.
- Collaborate with national governments and other stakeholders to solicit feedback and remedy issues
- Liaise with donors and other external development partners to ensure programs meet objectives and expectations
- Advise on areas of potential risk and support the development of mitigation strategies
Development, communication and dissemination of the proposal:
- Lead the technical design and development of proposals, particularly relating to health systems strengthening and health financing
- Provide oversight and input to the technical components of proposals being developed by other members of the technical department
Prospecting for new business:
- Identify and develop new program opportunities, leveraging technical expertise and geographic knowledge
- Build and maintain networks of donors, partners and influencers and use them to promote the work of Options and attract new business
- Use opportunities to effectively represent Options and help position Options as a thought leader in health systems financing
- Provide strategic support to the Options team in London, overseas teams and consultants as required in relation to health systems funding
- Enable technical exchange and learning among program staff by hosting virtual or in-person events and proactively sharing learning resources and tools and connecting individuals across the organization.
- Contribute to the documentation of results and the publication and dissemination of research and learning
- Manage project consultants, technical advisors, technical officers or interns as required
- Through the support and guidance of existing staff, help develop Options’ expertise in health systems financing
- Increase and maintain your own area of expertise through ongoing personal development.
- Participate in relevant external training and capacity building undertaken by Options.
- This job description reflects the current job requirements. As duties and responsibilities change and develop, the job description will be reviewed and subject to change in consultation with the job holder.
- Masters degree or relevant qualification or related comparable experience in public health, health financing, public financial management, health economics or relevant field.
- Experience working in Africa and/or Asia in a relevant position and with governments; international agencies and local NGOs
- Experience in carrying out technical work on health financing in similar organizations
- Experience in applying tools and providing technical assistance in public financial management, impact modeling and/or health economics
- Experience providing support to individuals and teams in remote environments through in-person and virtual engagement
- Experience developing strong relationships with government officials within health and finance authorities
- Experience in providing technical assistance in at least three of the following areas: health financing policy or strategy development, budgeting and planning, health budget advocacy, political economy analysis, sustainability and transition ; public financial management, cost and efficiency analysis; results-based financing; protection against social and financial risks; procurement ; design and/or operationalization of health insurance schemes; impact modeling and health economics.
- Experience working alongside national actors and institutions to build skills and competencies, for example in health financing concepts or budget analysis
- Experience in engaging with government and donor clients to successfully negotiate solutions
- Experience in conducting technical offers
- Established networks that will contribute to the development of Options’ business
- Publication portfolio
Skills and Attributes:
- Technical specialization in health systems strengthening with a focus on health financing
- Knowledge about reproduction, mother, newborn, child and
- Adolescent health (RMNCAH)/communicable diseases in developing countries
- Ability to analyze, interpret and present data (e.g. government budgets) in a way that is easily understood by non-experts
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to network and manage relationships with clients, consultants and technical contacts
- Autonomous as well as a good team spirit
- Ability to actively contribute to strategy and business development in health systems financing and beyond.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to the technical delivery of programs.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills that enable effective teamwork and problem solving.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to the technical writing of offers.
- Excellent written and spoken French
- Commitment to equal opportunities
- A commitment to program principles and safeguard options, do no harm, and to comprehensive sexual and reproductive health and rights
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
At the height of experience.
Click here to apply